The history of the IHP
The IHP was founded in 1983 as an institute of the Academy of Sciences. In 1992, the institute was re-established as a GmbH (limited liability company) and became a member of the "Arbeitsgemeinschaft Forschungseinrichtungen Blaue Liste" (today Leibniz Association) as well as being included in the joint federal and state funding. With the new foundation, the research of the institute focused on the integration of silicon-germanium in silicon technologies.
To ensure a research infrastructure relevant for industry, a new institute building with a 1000 m2 class 3 clean room according to DIN EN ISO 14633-1 was built and put into operation in 1999. This clean room is used to operate the institute's pilot line, which is a key feature of the IHP.
Since April 2017, the IHP has been part of the nationally coordinated Research Fab Microelectronics Germany (FMD).
In 2018 - 2020, the clean room area was extended to 1500m2. With the extension realized in 2013 and the increase of the clean room area in 2021, the institute now has more than 12,500 m2 of usable space.